Monday, November 23, 2009

Twists On The Path


I phoned my sister Ann, who lives in Shakespeare country, but she was working but I ended up having a lovely chat with my beautiful 18 year old niece Hannah.
Now, before you all die of shock...I know I just don't look old enough to have a grown-up niece, and we could pass for sisters and all that (if anyone as much as sniggers I'll track you down  make you listen to Barry Manilow while I poodle perm your hair), Hannah was born 2 months before I met James and she is extra special as we almost feel she is OUR baby.
Hannah has a fab brother, who is a mere 15 months younger than her (my eyes water at the thought), who is autistic.
I couldn't talk to her too long, as my OWN autie kid (autism is the new black don't you know dahling?) demonstrated intense jealousy of the phone and insisted that "BYE BYE" was the appropriate course of action.
While chatting to my lovely niece, I was stunned by her grace and maturity in the face of adversity. There is no questioning that her childhood was not typical, and was far from trouble free...and yet she has grown into a mature, adaptable woman who is as full of love and acceptance as she is pragmatic and ambitious.


If my own neuro-typical kids grow into the beautiful (on the inside as well as the outside) souls that that my niece is, I will be a very happy mammy.
Parents of autie kids take heart...it seems their siblings, as well as themselves, grow into pretty damn amazing people.

6 comments:

  1. Right on sister, and brother, And in my case Aussie cousins...

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks Jean, it helps to hear that as this has crossed my mind. Its difficult to know how things will pan out for siblings so its lovely to hear that it can be so positive for them, without taking away from the difficulties siblings face. Jen

    ReplyDelete
  3. I definitely think that having an aspie little sister has opened up my teenagers eyes and hearts. Even though they have issues of their own and drive me demented as teenagers do... I still think that compared to their counterparts, they have a certain maturity and compassion about them that the others haven't developed yet xxx

    ReplyDelete
  4. There ain't a neurotypical head in this house, I have high hopes for the cousins though. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey Jeannie, that fills me with renewed hope. There isn't a day that goes by that I dont worry about the "sibling effect." Your niece sounds like a very special girl. Michele xxxx

    ReplyDelete
  6. brilliant post as usual! I know my NT brother and sisters have had a lot more to cope with having TWO autie/aspie kids in the house. They really are amazing.
    My two brothers are really close in age but really annoy each other. But that's typical in most families - except for the bit where they call each other "debbie" and "francine". Even Grace is catching on and calls the boys by their nicknames!
    Your neice is a credit to her parents and you must be very proud to be her aunt xxx

    ReplyDelete