Tuesday, February 11, 2014

We Are All Stars (...no, really)

I've been getting into Astronomy lately.
And not just because Brian Cox is as easy on the eye as he is on the ear.
Honest.


for your viewing pleasure


If you ever want to feel the rush of a "WOW" moment, think on the fact that we are all made of stardust.
Real stardust.
From stars.
The ones in the sky that twinkle.

We weren't bought to order from an Argos catalogue, or copied from a blueprint in the Baby Factory.
Every atom in your body was once created in a star.
Billions (and billions, and billions) of years ago all the atoms that exist in the universe were forged together in dying stars, when incredible pressure forced hydrogen atoms to join together in progressively heavier and heavier elements, producing iron, zinc, magnesium and all the elements we are familiar with.
The elements that make our kidneys and our furniture and our cars were born in a cosmic nuclear reactor.
A collapsing star is your love daddy.









Thankfully, geek is the new chic, because this is all ridiculously cool and helps me to see that in the vastness of time and space, we are all composed of the same stardust.
Essentially we are all each other and are all the same (although this is something I would expect to hear in a hippy commune and not figure out from an Astronomy book).
Our atoms will combine and scatter over and over again at some cosmic whim.

So how come, I'm still worried about the state of my nails?
Or why I can never get to the bottom of the laundry basket?
And if my son's autism will become manageable so that he can live safely and happily after my own atoms have disassembled and pottered off to do their own thing?

Surely these "small" things should diminish in importance faced with the knowledge that we are tiny clusters of cells in a giant ocean of space.

It doesn't seem to work like that though.
Maybe it's human arrogance exaggerating our own importance....or maybe all these worries really are important.

I hope Brian Cox will produce a series on this soon.  If only to admire his lovely hair.






8 comments:

  1. Oh, he certainly is easy on the eye! It is definitely a worthwhile exercise to remember exactly where we come from (from (star)dust to dust?? How depressing!!) And from the stars is very exciting. Perhaps it could remind us to relax a little bit. All we can do is our best :-)

    xx Jazzy

    ReplyDelete
  2. Absolutely Jazzy. It makes me feel kinda glamorous to come from a star XXX

    ReplyDelete
  3. I must be really out of touch because I don't even know who Brian Cox is!! Fascinating to think about where we come from and there are so many opinions. I like your star option! :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thanks BSOL. He's kinda like the new Patrick Moore XXX

      Delete
  4. I had to google Brian Fox! And I think it would be a VERY good idea to introduce him to my son.... I presume he has a telly programme somewhere ?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I caught a few of his documentaries on Sky, but I can't seem to find his stuff on netflix (boo!). Enjoy! XXX

      Delete
  5. I feel compelled to throw my underpants at any screen Brian appears on. Have you downloaded his App?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You wear underpants??? Who knew...
      (didn't know he had an app...thsnk you, you knickerless wonder) XXX

      Delete